When you think of the professionals who help you take care of your smile, you probably think of your dentist. However, they’re certainly not the only one working hard to keep your oral health on track! Their dental assistants and hygienists work just as diligently to make sure your smile stays happy and healthy, but they often don’t get the recognition they deserve. That’s why the first week of March is officially dedicated as Dental Assistant Recognition Week! Let’s take a look at a day in the life of your dentist’s dental assistants to see why we appreciate these hard-working professionals.
A Day in the Life of a Dental Assistant
A dental assistant’s job begins long before their first patient arrives to the practice. They make sure that the examination rooms are cleaned, sanitized, and stocked with all the tools they’ll need throughout the day. When the first patient arrives, they’ll begin their appointment with some friendly chit-chat to help them feel more at-ease before examining and cleaning the patient’s mouth. Afterwards, they relay their findings to the dentist and help them perform any needed treatments, such as extractions, gum disease therapy, and much more. Before the patient leaves, the dental assistant will review their appointment with them and answer any final questions they may have. Then, it’s onto the next patient and the entire process repeats until the end of the day!
What Do Dental Assistants Do?
Dental assistants do much more than just clean teeth. They truly “assist” in everything, and their duties often include:
- Cleaning rooms, equipment, and tools
- Helping patients feel more at-ease during their appointment
- Reviewing, updating, and filing dental records
- Billing patients and filing insurance claims
- Examining patients and polishing teeth
- Helping the dentist perform a wide range of treatments
- Answering questions from patients in-person and over the phone
- And much more!
How to Show Your Dental Assistant You Care!
As you can see, a dental assistant’s job can include quite a lot. That’s why it’s absolutely worthwhile to celebrate Dental Assistant Recognition Week. Here’s how you can show them that you appreciate all their hard work:
- Send your dentist’s office a gift: Brighten up the day for the entire office by sending them flowers, balloons, or tasty treats!
- Write them a card: Put your appreciation into words and write down your thanks on a card. You could address it to the dental assistants who help you regularly or to the whole office. This simple gesture is an easy but tangible way to show that you care.
- Tell them at your next dental checkup: The next time you go in for your dental checkup and cleaning, take a moment to tell the dental assistant working with you that you appreciate all their hard work. Your words can completely transform their day!
Of course, one of the best ways to show your appreciation for your dental assistant is to take care of your oral health. They want you to have a happy, healthy, and beautiful smile, and they’ll be thrilled to see that you’re practicing great oral hygiene!
About the Practice
At Evergreen Dental Group, our talented and friendly dental team is passionate about caring for the smiles of Evergreen and the surrounding communities. With early and late appointments, a comprehensive menu of services, and the latest dental technology, we go above and beyond to help you achieve optimal oral health. Most importantly, our hard-working staff focus on patient comfort for smiles of all ages. To learn more or schedule your next appointment, we can be contacted via our website or at (303) 674-5566.