There’s nothing worse than trying to talk to someone with your hands over your mouth. When bad breath hits and there’s no quick solution to be found, you might find yourself forced into a conversation that has you attempting to shy away or discreetly hide your mouth. If you’re unsure what to do about your bad breath but know you can’t go on hiding behind your hands, let a family dentist in Evergreen share 5 ways you can eliminate it for good.
What Causes Bad Breath?
If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from bad breath, otherwise known as halitosis, take comfort in knowing it doesn’t have to be this way. While most cases are the result of poor oral hygiene, there are plenty of other reasons why your breath might stink, including:
- Gum disease
- Sleep apnea
- Hormonal fluctuations
Okay, but how exactly does bad breath occur? When you eat, the food particles and bacteria break down in your mouth, releasing a sulfurous compound that possesses an extremely strong odor. When you avoid brushing or flossing your teeth, this odor grows stronger, ultimately creating bad breath.
Another factor that encourages halitosis is dry mouth. Bacteria lives on the tongue, and when you do not keep yourself hydrated, your saliva becomes dry, and your mouth is unable to wash away bacteria and other food particles that can create the bad odor, as well as tooth decay and gum disease.
What Can I Do to Eliminate Bad Breath?
If you want to say “goodbye” to the bad breath and hello to a fresher, healthier mouth, there are 5 easy ways to accomplish this. These include:
- Improve your oral health routine – The first step to achieving optimal oral health, no matter the problem, is to brush your teeth twice a day for two full minutes and floss at least once a day. Make sure to use fluoride toothpaste, and if you don’t have an electric toothbrush with an automated timer, set one on your phone, so you can make sure you’re brushing for the full amount of time.
- Watch your diet – Not only with eating healthier foods be beneficial to your overall health but limiting sugar and carbohydrates will keep bad breath at bay, as well as tooth decay and gum disease.
- Visit the dentist in Evergreen – Regular dental checkups and cleanings every six months are vital to ensuring you have no problems forming in your mouth. A dentist will be able to thoroughly examine your mouth and make sure your teeth, gums, and overall oral health are in check.
- Stay hydrated – It’s no surprise that one of the suggested tips is to drink plenty of water. Dry mouth can be one of the key reasons for bad breath, so keep yourself hydrated so your mouth can wash out any leftover food particles or bacteria existing inside it.
- Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash – After brushing and flossing your teeth, you may think you got everything, but unfortunately, you probably didn’t. This is where mouthwash comes in to save the day. Swish this liquid around in your mouth for one minute before spitting it out.
By following these simple tips, you can begin to enjoy a good conversation once again. Forget using your hands to cover your mouth! Enjoy the healthier feel and smell of a mouth that is free from bad breath!
About the Practice
Evergreen Dental Group is comprised of several expert dentists whose goal is to provide high-quality dental care for patients of all ages. Considered a one-stop-shop for dentistry services, our commitment to providing comprehensive dentistry is evident by the services we offer, including everything from general cleaning, dental crowns, Invisalign, or even teeth whitening to improve and restore your smile. To find out more about what we offer, contact us at (303) 674-5566 to schedule an appointment.