You might have a lot going on during the last few months of the year. Between planning for various celebrations, winterizing your home, and thinking about your new year’s resolutions, it can be easy to let little details slip by the wayside. But one important task that you shouldn’t let slide off your to-do list is a visit to your dentist in Evergreen. Planning for oral healthcare now can help you make the most out of your 2018 dental insurance policy.
Insurance Expires at the End of the Year
The vast majority of dental insurance plans operate on a calendar-year basis. Every January 1, they give clients a certain amount (usually $1,000 – $1,500) to spend on dental care. Whatever portion of that annual maximum that doesn’t get used by December 31 disappears forever. It doesn’t roll over to the following year.
If you only visit your dentist once each year for a routine checkup, you could be losing out on hundreds of dollars’ worth of benefits! Of course, that isn’t to say that you should undergo treatment just for the sake of using your insurance policy. However, you should attend biannual cleanings and checkups and use your benefits to pay for any further work that your dentist recommends.
Maximize Your 2018 Benefits
Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your 2018 dental benefits:
- Schedule a checkup now. Many dental insurance plans cover preventive care at 100 percent. Therefore, you may be able to get a cleaning and exam without any out of pocket cost.
- Plan for restorative treatment. If your exam reveals that you need a filling or other restorative work, you may still have time to complete the procedure before 2018 ends.
- Leverage two annual maximums. Some major dental treatments take place across multiple appointments. If you schedule those appointments in both 2018 and 2019, you may be able to take advantage of two annual maximums rather than just one.
- Don’t forget your FSA. A flexible spending account (FSA) is tax-free money that you or your employer can set aside for medical and dental expenses. Often, these funds expire at the end of the year. You may be able to use this money in conjunction with your dental insurance.
- Ask for help. If you don’t quite understand how your insurance policy works, talk to the friendly and knowledgeable folks at your dentist’s office. They’re used to navigating the intricacies of various benefit plans, and they’ll be happy to help you maximize your coverage.
2018 is quickly coming to its end! Fortunately, there are still a few months left for you to take full advantage of this year’s dental insurance benefits.
About Evergreen Dental Group
Our practice has six talented dentists who work alongside an amazing support staff. We’re dedicated to providing exceptional care to the Evergreen community. We’re also happy to work with various insurance companies so our patients can afford the treatment they need. To learn more about how we can help you get the most out of your dental benefits, contact us at 303-674-5566.